Monday, May 28, 2012

A Song Based On A Poem by Nizar Qabbani






 I've decided that from time to time I will also post the poetry of others I admire and songs inspired by poems, have this blog with my poetry, but not always about me and my poetry.  One of my favorite poets is the Syrian poet Nizar Qabbani.  I discovered his poetry completely by accident because of the video below by Iraqi singer Kazem al Saher. I loved the lyrics to this song so much that I later ordered a copy of Qabbani's poems from Amazon.

The lyrics to this love song are Arabic with English subtitles.  I wish I knew Arabic because I know I'm missing out on the true richness in meaning being that it's in English. 

Nizar Qabbani is one of the greatest modern poets of the Middle East. He was a diplomat and writer.  If he were still alive I wonder what he would think of the so-called Arab Spring and the horrors that are now occurring in his homeland. I enjoy listening to what eloquent and truly knowledgeably people have to say.

Please don't overlook my three most recent poems below. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews